Monday, January 24, 2005

The Twins Caravan Comes to Northfield

As I hinted at the other day, Joe Mauer, Carlos Silva, and Tony Oliva came to my hometown of Northfield this afternoon as one of their stops along the Southern Leg of their Winter Carvan. I took my little brother and his friend down to the local high school auditorium to see what was going on. Also, since there was no school it was a good way to kill some time. :)

Since I forgot to bring my digital camera my rush, I'll just post a couple of random thoughts to fill a little bit of space on this Tuesday...

-I always think it's great that the Twins do this Caravan every year. Sure, some of the stops are a bigger hit than others (our mid-sized auditorium was only about half-full this afternoon) but how many other teams care enough about non-Metropolitan areas as much as the Twins? Are there any? Like many other people, I really like this year's "Twins Territory" slogan. It fits perfectly.

-Tony Oliva is a funny guy! Even though he is notoriously difficult to understand sometimes (anyone who's ever met him knows exactly what I'm talking about) he's still a great guy and I always get a kick out of it when I see him at events such as this.

-Joe Mauer is a very low key and down to earth person. I sort of knew this before, but I'd never really had the opportunity to meet Joe before yesterday. He was nice enough to sign a couple of things for my brother (and me too, I'll admit it). I'm not even a year younger than Joe and he seems like a pretty neat guy, someone who would be a lot of fun to hang out with. Seems strange to think of one of the Twins' stars in theat way, but it's the truth.

Well, that's about all I have time for tonight. If you haven't read John's more extensive post from yesterday, be sure and do so sometime. Also, if you care to read my somewhat rambling manifesto from the other you can find it right here. Until next time, take care everyone.

-Ryan M.

No comments:

Post a Comment